GPD has finally revealed the pricing for its soon to be crowdfunded GPD Win Max 2 (opens in new tab) Steam Deck competitor. The GPD Win Max 2 has a 10 inch 'bezel less' screen and options for Intel Alder Lake and AMD Ryzen 7 6800U CPUs, is nicely differentiated from the Steam Deck in terms of hardware, but until now we haven't known which is the better bargain.
Well now we do, even though crowdfunding hasn't started yet. The Win Max 2 is a much more expensive handheld, starting out at $899 in its most basic incarnation, an AMD 6800U APU (opens in new tab) (eight cores, 16 threads, 12 GPU cores) with 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 128GB of storage. This model, of which only 50 will be produced, is marked as not for retail.
The real meat comes with the next model, which keeps the same specs apart from increasing the storage to 1TB for $999. Then a model with 32GB of LPDDR5 RAM comes in at $1,199, and a top-end model that takes those specs and swells the SSD out to 2TB is $1,299. Should your heart lay with Intel, a model sporting an Intel Alder Lake i7 1260P (four P-cores, eight E-cores, 16 threads, 96 GPU execution units), 16GB of LPDDR5 RAM and 1TB of storage will cost $999. Note that this is a step down from the i7 1280P CPU (opens in new tab) originally reported as being fitted to the machine.
With the Steam Deck starting to look cheap by comparison, the other differences between the consoles are less likely to win gamers to one side or the other. The Win Max 2 beats Valve's machine soundly in terms of screen size and resolution, while the Win Max 2 has additional benefits of coming with Windows 11 installed, and had optional extras in the form of a 4G LTE module ($79) and an additional custom 1TB SSD for the board's second M.2 slot ($139).
Crowdfunding on Indiegogo (opens in new tab) is yet to begin for the handheld, though the appearance of the prices is surely a significant hint that it's not far away. Remember that crowdfunding a project is not a guarantee of receiving a finished product. Backing a crowdfunded project is akin to an investment, you believe in the project and want it to succeed. You are not purchasing a retail product.
- National Lottery results LATEST: Winning Lotto numbers revealed as Saturday jackpot now HUGE rollover of £11.1million
- How Mick Schumacher helped Max Verstappen to beat Lewis Hamilton at US GP
- Redmi Note 9 Pro Max First Sale Set for May 12: Price in India, Specifications
- Max Verstappen told how many races of last five he must win to take Lewis Hamilton's title
- Strictly’s Max George installs WhatsApp portal at flat for video calls to put girlfriend Stacey Giggs at ease
- Apple event recap: iPhone 13, Apple Watch Series 7 and iPad revealed
- Crowdfund A Robot Insurgency Film From The Writers Of Feast
- Apple's M1 Max Scores Big Wins Against Desktop GPUs | Digital Trends
- 16in MacBook Pro 2021 inc M1 Pro and M1 Max: Complete Guide
- iPhone 12 Pro Max review: An Apple iPhone that's truly worthy of its 'Pro' name
GPD Win Max 2 Crowdfunder Reveals Pricing have 519 words, post on www.tomshardware.com at July 5, 2022. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.