Microcontroller boards based on the RP2040 chipset, the same SoC that powers the $4 Raspberry Pi Pico are becoming very popular among makers. Newer boards are popping up with extra features appearing on them, such as this 1.14 inch color display, the $10 LILYGO T-Display spotted by CNX Software .
It’s not the first such board, of course, with the Arducam Pico4ML pulling a similar trick – and with a resolution of 240×135 pixels it's hardly HD – but it comes in at just under $10 with the RP2040 board attached. Along with the ST7789V SPI controller needed to run the screen, you get all the usual Pico accoutrements such as the dual-core Cortex M0+ processor, 2 x UART , 2 x SPI and 2 x I2C connections, along with a generous 4MB of flash storage. Power and data connectivity is via USB-C, a good choice of connector as it is now becoming the norm on maker boards. Where the LILYGO T-Display falls short is the GPIO. The board looks to be wider and a different pin layout to the traditional Raspberry Pi Pico, so creative hacking is required to connect accessories designed for the Pico.
There's also support for powering the board, and its screen, with a battery thanks to a two-pin 1.25mm pitch JST connector – you get a connector cable in the package along with an expansion header. The board is programmable through MicroPython and C like any other Pico , and CNX speculates that Arduino support could be coming soon, thanks to the existence of an Arduino-liking ESP32 board by the same manufacturer with the same display. Right now CircuitPython support is unknown, but it won’t be long until a member of the community ports CircuitPython to this board.
The LILYGO T-Display was available from AliExpress for $9.98, but at the time of writing appears to be out of stock.
- Manufacture Of Raspberry Pi Begins, Israel Hacker Publishes Saudi Credit Card Info, Sharp Won’t Make iPad 3 Screens
- Microsoft Is Bringing Windows 10 Support To Raspberry Pi 2
- To Redefine Computing, Have A Couple Beers: The Raspberry Pi Creation Story
- The open-source, private cloud alternatives to Dropbox and Slack
- Microsoft Wants To Put Windows 10 On Every Connected Gadget
- This is what No 10 wants to do to support British tech
- The iPhone X: Hands-On Answers To 10 Burning Questions
- Exclusive: Foxconn reconsidering plans to make LCD panels at Wisconsin plant
- Invest in What You Know -- the Screens Edition
- The World’s Top 10 Most Innovative Companies Backed By Kickstarter In 2015
$10 Raspberry Pi Pico Alternative Comes With LCD Screen have 410 words, post on www.tomshardware.com at September 14, 2021. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.