Samsung introduced the first mass-produced 3D NAND memory, dubbed V-NAND, in 2013, well ahead of its rivals. Samsung started with 24-layer V-NAND chips back then, and now having gained plenty of experience with multi-layer flash memory, it is on track to introduce 176-Layer V-NAND devices. But that’s only the beginning —Samsung says it envisions V-NAND chips with more than 1,000 layers in the future.
176-Layer V NAND on Track for This Year, PCIe 5.0 Coming
Samsung intends to begin producing consumer SSDs powered by its seventh-gen V-NAND memory that features 176 layers and, according to the company, the industry’s smallest NAND memory cells. This new flash’s interface boasts a 2000 MT/s data transfer rate, allowing Samsung to build ultra-fast SSDs with PCIe 4.0 and PCIe 5.0 interfaces. The drives will use an all-new controller ‘optimized for multitasking huge workloads,’ so expect a 980 Pro successor that demonstrates strong performance in workstation applications.
First 200+ Layer V-NAND Chips Produced, 1,000+ Layer V-NAND Devices Envisioned
While 176-layer V-NAND chips are nearing mass production, Samsung has already built the first samples of its eighth-gen V-NAND with over 200 layers. Samsung says that it will begin producing this new memory based on market demand. Companies typically introduce new types of NAND devices every 12 to 18 months, so you could make more or less educated guesses about Samsung’s planned timeline for 200+ layer V-NAND.
Big Plans for V-NAND
Earlier this year SK Hynix said that it envisioned 3D NAND with over 600 layers , so Samsung is certainly not alone with its big plans for 3D NAND.
It is impossible to say when Samsung develops 1,000-layer V-NAND and SK Hynix launches its 600-layer flash memory. Keeping in mind that manufacturers no longer aim to double the number of layers every year, it is likely that large makers have 3D NAND roadmaps that stretch at least five to ten years out.
- Samsung SSD 950 Pro M.2 performance preview
- Samsung announces the PM1733 PCIe 4.0, the industry's highest performing SSD
- Intel refreshes SSD line-up with 3D NAND memory
- Today’s Best SSD Deal: Get the 1TB WD SN750 PCIe Drive for Just $130 ($70 Off)
- Samsung launches sixth-generation V-NAND with performance and efficiency improvements
- Samsung to invest an extra $8 billion in China chip plant: media
- Samsung to invest an extra $8 billion in China chip plant
- Samsung announces wicked fast 960 Pro, Evo solid state drives
- Samsung Reportedly Invests $8B More in China Plant
- I thought my SSD was fast, but Corsair’s new model can hit a blistering 4,950MB/s
Samsung Preps PCIe 4.0 and 5.0 SSDs With 176-Layer V-NAND have 400 words, post on www.tomshardware.com at June 9, 2021. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.