Three-dimensional printing is one of the most interesting and exciting new tech hobbies out there, but it isn't the cheapest to get into. That said, it's not as expensive as you may think; there are plenty of good budget-friendly 3D printers out there today. To help you get started (or maybe to upgrade your existing setup with some more premium equipment), we've taken the liberty to round up the best 3D printer deals of the month and put them right here.
Today's Best 3D Printer Deals
- Sunlu PLA Plus+ Premium 3D Filament (1.75mm, 1kg/spool, Black) — 20 , was 29
- Creality LD-002R 3D Printer — 199
- ELEGOO Mars 2 UV Photocuring Resin 3D Printer — 200 , was 270
- Anycubic Photon Mono Resin 3D Printer — 210 , was 290
- Creality Ender 3 V2 3D Printer — 279 , was 400
- Creality Ender 5 Pro 3D Printer — 400 , was 500
- Bibo Dual Extruder 3D Printer with Laser Engraving — 749 , was 839
How To Choose A 3D Printer
Three-dimensional printers cover a huge range of sizes and prices, with some industrial models capable of printing houses . Such equipment is naturally beyond the needs or means of most people, however, and the vast majority of consumer-grade units are designed to fit on a tabletop. Even these run the gamut when it comes to cost, so it's worth it to spend some time to track down a cheap 3D printer (or at least a worthy 3D printer deal on a more expensive unit) that can meet your budget while also satisfying your needs.
Modern 3D printers employ one of two manufacturing technologies : Fused deposition modeling (FDM) or stereolithography (SLA). FDM printers are more popular and use a printing medium known as filament. This filament is heated to its melting point and then extruded through one or more printing heads, which move along three axes to create an object layer-by-layer from the bottom up on a heat-dispersing build plate.
FDM printers tend to be the most user-friendly and the filaments they use are also very common and quite affordable, making these cheap 3D printers good for household items and other common projects . Items made with an FDM 3D printer usually have a noticeably striated appearance due to this layer-by-layer building method, but filaments and the printers that use them are improving and growing more capable of handling complex tasks as this technology continues to mature. Most cheap 3D printers you'll find will be of this design.
Stereolithography, while actually a decades-old technology, is less common due to the greater cost of SLA printers and their proprietary resins (there are a few cheap 3D printers that use resin, but they tend to be on the smaller side). Instead of filament as a printing substrate, SLA printers start with a resin liquid that is hardened via UV radiation as it is molded into the desired shape within the printing chamber. The UV laser is reflected off of mirrors to selectively target the resin that is to be hardened; this is also done layer-by-layer, but in a much different manner than in fused deposition modeling.
Resin-based SLA printers are therefore capable of creating smoother, more detailed, and higher-resolution objects than FDM printers. These resin objects also tend to be considerably more durable. The trade-off here is that SLA 3D printers (and the resins) tend to be more expensive than FDM units, and the proprietary resins are less flexible and messier to work with.
Looking for more great stuff? Find tech discounts and much more on our curated deals page.
Digital Trends may earn commission on products purchased through our links, which supports the work we do for our readers.
- Best cheap Adobe Photoshop deals for May 2021
- Best cheap desktop computer deals for May 2021
- Best cheap SSD deals for May 2021
- Best cheap Dell laptop deals and sales for May 2021
- Best cheap pressure washer deals for May 2021
- Looking for the Best Cheap Car Insurance Deal, Look on the Internet
- Cheap Mobile Phone Deal
- How To Find A Cheap Mobile Phone Deal (Or A Cheap Cell Phone Deal) In 5 Steps
- How We Select The Cheap Mobile Phone Deals?
- Cheap Mobile Phone Deals - All That Make Us Full With Options
- 12 Month Free Line Rental - Grab The Cheap Mobile Phone Deals
- What Makes Up a Cheap Car Insurance Deal?
- How To Find Cheap Computer Printer Ink Online
- Cheap Contract Mobile Phone Orange: Cheap And Convenient Deal
- Looking for Cheap Car Hire Deals
Best cheap 3D printer deals for May 2021 have 1353 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at May 7, 2021. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.