Almost 72 hours after testing over 18,000 people at a Hindu gathering during Kumbh Mela celebrations in the city of Haridwar in Uttarakhand state, more than 100 people have tested positive for COVID. On 11 April, over 280,000 devotees from all over the country attended the second Shahi Snan (Royal Bath) in the Ganges as part of the ongoing festivities. © REUTERS / DANISH SIDDIQUI Almost 2 Million Indians Gather on Banks of Ganges for Hindu Festival, Despite COVID Pandemic Images of revellers flouting coronavirus restrictions and taking collective dips in the holy river have been surfacing online for some days now. Journalists working on the ground have also reported that there are no temperature checks in place to monitor possible COVID symptoms among the devotees flocking to the banks of the Ganges. The news of over 100 people testing positive has created panic. Netizens have been criticising the mass gathering as India is being choked by a second wave of the pandemic, saying the festival is like a ticking time bomb for the rest of the country. Just realised this as i was talking to a friend. It’s not just a kumbh issue, it’s a ticking time bomb for everyone…. Read full this story
- Kashmir conflict: Pakistan returns captured pilot to India
- Nuclear fears abound after India-Pakistan military escalation
- HT Scholarship Programme 2019: Diversity is key to unifying India
- News updates from Hindustan Times at 9am: British Police name London knife attacker and all the latest news at this hour
- Is India ready to handle an epidemic? The frightful truth behind Nipah outbreak
- What's top of the pops? Prosecco's fallen flat - so here we uncork the most sparkling champers deals this festive season
- The Donald arrives for four-day red carpet visit: Trump and Melania set foot on UK soil for first time as President and First Lady - but he brushes aside protests by claiming Britons 'like him a lot'
- The King of Christmas! Father who runs a family business making festive jumpers reveals they start designing them in February - and makes £350,000 from just a few months of sales
- Australian singer Johnny Ruffo helps sick kids at Sydney Children's Hospital test and review the hottest toys this Christmas for Amazon
- Four revellers across two states are treated for suspected drug overdoses - sparking fears of another devastating summer of deaths on the dance festival circuit
Ticking Time Bomb: Over 100 People Attending Kumbh Festivities in India Test Positive for COVID have 381 words, post on sputniknews.com at April 13, 2021. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.