Twitter boss Jack Dorsey sold his first tweet as an NFT for just over $2.9 million (roughly Rs. 20 crore).
The tweet is in the form of a NFT – a kind of unique digital asset that has exploded in popularity so far in 2021.
Each NFT has its own blockchain-based digital signature, which serves as a public ledger, allowing anyone to verify the asset’s authenticity and ownership.
The tweet – “just setting up my twttr” – was Dorsey’s first tweet, made on March 21, 2006.
just setting up my twttr
— jack (@jack) March 21, 2006
The NFT was sold via auction on a platform called Valuables, which is owned by the US-based company Cent.
It was bought using the cryptocurrency Ether , for 1630.5825601 ETH, which was worth $2,915,835.47 (roughly Rs. 21 crore) at the time of sale, Cameron Hejazi, the CEO and co-founder of Cent confirmed.
Cent confirmed the buyer is Sina Estavi. Estavi’s Twitter profile, @sinaEstavi, says he is based in Malaysia and is CEO of the blockchain company Bridge Oracle. Estavi told Reuters he was “thankful” when asked for comment about the purchase.
On March 6, Dorsey , who is a Bitcoin enthusiast, tweeted a link to the website where the NFT was listed for sale. He then said in another tweet on March 9 that he would convert the proceeds from the auction into Bitcoin and donate them to people impacted by COVID-19 in Africa.
Dorsey receives 95 percent of the proceeds of the primary sale, while Cent receives 5 percent.
Cent CEO Cameron Hejazi said that his platform allows people to show support for a tweet that goes beyond the current options to like, comment and retweet.
“These assets might go up in value, they might go down in value, but what will stay is the ledger and the history of ‘I purchased this from you at this moment in time’ and that’s going to be in both the buyer, the seller and the public spectators’ memory,” Hejazi said, adding that this was “inherently valuable.”
© Thomson Reuters 2021
Some important changes are taking place with Orbital podcast. We discussed this on Orbital , our weekly technology podcast, which you can subscribe to via Apple Podcasts , Google Podcasts , or RSS , download the episode , or just hit the play button below.
- REVEALED: Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey banned Trump while on vacation in French Polynesia sending the president 'ballistic' as he furiously tweeted through other accounts
- Experts say Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey's placard faux pas could cost company dear
- Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey Claims Cryptocurrency Regulation Would Create ‘Perverse Incentives’
- ‘Who The Hell Elected You?’ — Ted Cruz Criticizes Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey For Censoring NY Post, Denying The Platform Impacts Elections
- Facebook, Twitter CEOs express support for changes to key law governing internet speech
- Jack Dorsey Breaks Silence on Twitter Censorship, Accepts Blame for Company’s ‘Not Great’ Response
- Fake news a multi-variable problem, there is no 'one fix': Twitter CEO
- What Twitter CEO told employees before banning Trump
- Jack Dorsey: Holocaust Denials Not ‘Misinformation’ Under Twitter Policy
- Square founder Jack Dorsey talks bitcoin and says blockchain is the ‘next big unlock’
Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey's First Tweet Sold for $2.9 Million as an NFT have 521 words, post on gadgets.ndtv.com at March 23, 2021. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.