When Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. outlined plans to build a fab in the U.S., it set a rather modest production capacity goal of around 20,000 wafer starts per month (WSPM). Nowadays chipmakers tend to build larger fabs in a bid to minimize their costs per wafer. But according to a new unconfirmed report via UDN , the company might be planning several phases of expansions for its Arizona plant. UDN this week reported on internal rumors that TSMC intends to build not one, but “six fabs in the Arizona plant area” in a bid to expand the site to the so-called ‘MegaFab-class’ facility. TSMC naturally does not comment on unannounced plans. Furthermore, it is uncommon for chip producers to share strategic plans outside of top management. This does not mean that the report is completely baseless. Based on TSMC’s classification, a MegaFab has capacity of around 25,000 WSPM, so its planned facility in Arizona can already be called a MegaFab, which is why its expansion to this production capacity is not something material. Furthermore, it does not need to build six additional ‘fabs’ to get to 25,000 WSPM. On the other hand, expanding the Arizona fab beyond 25,000 WSPM might be… Read full this story
- Republic Bank of Arizona Announces Unaudited Financial Results For the Quarter Ending March 31, 2018
- Versum Materials Introduces Smart, Fab-wide Heat Sourcing and Control for Electronic Specialty Gases in Semiconductor Fabs
- Valdez: #RedforEd just handed Democrats and unions the keys to win Arizona
- Who's Afraid of Tom Steyer? Billionaire Targeted in Arizona Energy Policy War
- Arizona water agencies pledge to work together on Colorado River drought plan
- Fab Harrogate leads way on plastic waste battle
- Our View: Arizona's water fight earned it a black eye. Can we rebuild our reputation?
- Steller column: Steyer's visit highlights energy dilemma for Arizona voters
- Gov. Doug Ducey signs bill allowing 'dental therapists' to practice in Arizona
- Galaxy Note 9 might feature massive storage capacities
TSMC Rumored to Increase Capacity of Arizona Fab have 312 words, post on www.tomshardware.com at March 4, 2021. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.