SpaceX wants to beam internet from its Starlink satellites to vehicles on Earth. The revelation came via a recent SpaceX filing with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) requesting permission to install its internet terminals in moving vehicles — not just people's homes. SpaceX chief Elon Musk subsequetly offered some clarification via Twitter, stating that the aim is to connect "aircraft, ships, large trucks & RVs," though not cars as the terminal is currently "much too big." The filing, which the FCC received last week, included the following statement: "No longer are users willing to forego connectivity while on the move, whether driving a truck across the country, moving a freighter from Europe to a U.S. port, or while on a domestic or international flight." Whereas home users of SpaceX's Starlink service are able to set up the terminals by themselves, the company said in its filing that "qualified installers" would set up the system in vehicles. Offering Starlink broadband to vehicles would significantly expand the market for SpaceX, with Musk already eyeing $50 billion in annual revenue if the company is able to secure even just a few percent of the global telecommunications market via Starlink. SpaceX has already deployed… Read full this story
- Plan to build up to 125 homes next to Kenilworth Cricket Club recommended for approval
- Couple ‘trapped’ in own home as council plans to build bungalow leaving just 16ft gap to get their car out of drive
- NASA Hopes to Have Boeing Delivering Astronauts to the Space Station Sooner Than Planned
- What it feels like... when your first home is a houseboat
- White supremacists Generation Identity plan to hold a secret conference in London. Anti-fascists aim to stop them
- SpaceX granted permission to launch satellites beaming high-speed internet back to Earth
- SpaceX launches 10 more Iridium satellites
- SpaceX boosts station cargo
- How long does it take to get to Mars, how many light years away is it and what was Elon Musk’s SpaceX launch?
- Facebook grounds its internet plane plans over concerns about excess competition, shutting the doors of its UK plant for good
SpaceX plans to beam its Starlink internet to vehicles, not just homes have 350 words, post on www.digitaltrends.com at March 9, 2021. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.