Microsoft has released a new build of Windows 10, killing off the Aero Shake feature that some people – but not enough, it seems – found very useful.
Aero Shake allowed you to click a window and shake it with your mouse. This would minimize every other open app, leaving just the window to app that you had shaken.
- We show you how to update drivers in Windows 10
- Want to know how to uninstall a Windows 10 update?
- Fix these common Windows 10 problems
It was quite handy for people who often have loads of windows cluttering their desktop, and want to quickly and easily minimize most of them to focus on a single app.
However, it seems like not enough people were using the feature to justify its inclusion in Windows 10. Also, some people found that it was a bit too easy to accidently trigger Aero Shake when simply moving windows about on the desktop, which can be quite annoying.
As Windows Latest points out, however, it can be enabled via the Registry Editor. As Microsoft notes in its changelog, to do this, you need to “create a new DWORD entry named DisallowShaking with a value of 0.” As always, if you’re tweaking things in the Registry Editor, please be careful, as it’s a powerful tool that can impact your PC’s performance if you make a mistake.
Legacy tool improvements
Speaking of the Registry Editor, it’s getting new features, which is a nice surprise as it’s a rather niche, unglamorous Windows 10 tool. A new keyboard shortcut (Ctrl + Backspace) allows you to quickly delete words, rather than deleting letters manually.
Microsoft is also updating another legacy tool, Device Manager. A new feature called “ViewDrivers” will give you quick access to drivers using the .inf file type, and will provide handy information about the drivers to let you keep them updated.
So, it’s a bit of a mixed bag for features with the latest update, but while we’ll mourn the loss of Aero Shake, we’re glad to see Microsoft is continuing to update Windows 10’s older features.
- These are the best laptops of 2021
- All the New iPhone Privacy Features in iOS 14
- Fallout 76 update 22 patches notes
- 'PUBG' Update 1.54 Adds Paramo & Ranked Solos on PS4 & Xbox - Patch Notes
- FMIA Week 7: A Strange Day in NFL, and Why Bucs Signed Antonio Brown
- Sea Of Thieves' Free Fate Of The Damned October Update Now Live
- Digital Trends Top Tech of CES 2019 Award Winners
- 2020 Election Live Updates: Mail ballot numbers keep climbing in California
- How to Speed Up Your Old Mac and Give It a New Life
- The best VPN service of 2020
- Google AI executive sees a world of trillions of devices untethered from human care
Windows 10 update kills off one useful feature, but improves many more have 447 words, post on www.techradar.com at January 18, 2021. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.