New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio is holding a press conference Tuesday, hours after Governor Andrew Cuomo announced an emergency facility will open on Staten Island forpatients.
The facility at South Beach Psychiatric Center is opening at the request of hospitals in the area and as an increasing number of Staten Island residents are being admitted to hospitals amid a virus surge.
How to watch NYC Mayor Bill de Blasio’s press conference today
- What: New York City Mayor Bill De Blasio holds press conference
- Date: Tuesday, November 24, 2020
- Time: 10 a.m. ET
- Location: New York City
- Online stream: Live on CBSN New York in the player above and on your mobile or streaming device
Cuomo said Monday that hospitalizations have tripled on Staten Island in the past three weeks.
“Staten Island has such an issue that it has triggered a hospital capacity issue. And the hospitals have contacted us and they say they need emergency beds on Staten Island,” Cuomo said, according to CBS New York. “Remember when we had to set up field hospitals, emergency hospitals for additional capacity? Well, that’s what we have to do on Staten Island.”
The governor also announced updated COVID-19 micro-cluster zones across the state that establish some areas, including Upper Manhattan, as yellow zones, and move others from yellow to orange.
Yellow means restaurants must close at 10 p.m. An orange zone means high risk, so non-essential businesses close. Dining moves to outdoor only and mass gatherings are limited to 10 people.
It’s possible some areas on Staten Island could even move into a red zone, which means essential businesses only.
New York City schools shut down last week after the city reached a 3% positivity rate.
Note: Streaming plans are subject to change
- In the Battle Between Cuomo and Nixon, the Subway Becomes a Central Issue
- ‘Sex and the City’ star Cynthia Nixon announces run for New York governor
- Nigeria: Chike Ukaegbu Announces Candidacy for Nigerian President
- New York Today: Primary Races to Watch
- BBC Devon & Cornwall Live: 29 May to 1 June
- Guam's mayors announce Village News for June 2, 2018
- Guam's mayors announce Village News for June 23, 2018
- Remembering A.J. Holloway, the mayor who made history and got Biloxi through 'our tsunami'
- Voters head to the polls in 7 states: What to watch
- Delta, LAX announce $1.9 billion in terminal upgrades
Watch Live: NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio speaks after Cuomo announces emergency COVID-19 facility have 383 words, post on www.cbsnews.com at November 24, 2020. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.