School kids don’t appear to transmit the new coronavirus to peers or teachers, a French study found, weighing in on the crucial topic of children’s role in propagating Covid-19.
Scientists at Institut Pasteur studied 1,340 people in Crepy-en-Valois, a town northeast of Paris that suffered an outbreak in February and March, including 510 students from six primary schools. They found three probable cases among kids that didn’t lead to more infections among other pupils or teachers.
The study confirms that children appear to show fewer telltale symptoms than adults and be less contagious, providing a justification for school reopenings in countries from Denmark to Switzerland. The researchers found that 61% of the parents of infected kids had the coronavirus, compared with about 7% of parents of healthy ones, suggesting it was the parents who had infected their offspring rather than the other way around.
Understanding the pandemic and the new virus’s transmission patterns is key to determining which parts of society can reopen — or should be shuttered again in the event of a resurgence — and mitigate the outbreak’s impact on the economy. The data on kids has been contradictory so far, with some reports corroborating the Pasteur findings and at least one pointing the other way.
Epidemiologist Arnaud Fontanet and colleagues said more studies on schools were needed because of the small number of cases they were able to study. They found that an estimated 41% of the children infected showed no symptoms, compared with about 10% of adults.
(This story has been published from a wire agency feed without modifications to the text. Only the headline has been changed.)
- HHS secretary tells lawmakers lifestyles of meat-processing plant employees worsened Covid-19 outbreak
- Nursing home workers warned government about safety violations before Covid-19 outbreaks and deaths
- Jamaica Set to Relax Restrictions on Churches and Bars Amid COVID-19 Outbreak
- Why countries SHOULD shut their borders: Scientists find air travel is main driver of COVID-19 outbreaks as they say screening, testing and quarantining travellers is 'a cheap solution for humanity'
- Tamil Nadu records over 5% coronavirus COVID-19 cases in children; health experts say not to worry
- Carnival Cruises to Resume in Florida and Texas From August Despite Congressional Investigation Into COVID-19 Outbreaks
- COVID-19: 1.7bn children can’t attend schools globally — TRCN
- Vietnamese in Moscow hit hard by Covid-19 outbreak
- Architect speculates how residential design might change post COVID-19 outbreak
- Amid COVID-19 outbreak, U.S. sees rise in frauds
Covid-19 outbreak: School children don’t spread coronavirus have 401 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at June 24, 2020. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.