The eagerly anticipated Obi-Wan Kenobi series has hit rocky ground, with backers Disney+ and Lucasfilm at a very late stage ditching the only two scripts that have so far been written for the show, The Hollywood Reporter (THR) claimed on Thursday, January 23.
Citing “multiple sources” with knowledge of the matter, THR said the series, starring Ewan McGregor in a reprise of his Star Wars prequels role, has been “put on hold” as the companies search for a new writer to replace Hossein Amini, who previously penned the Ryan Gosling thriller Drive and also received an Oscar nomination for The Wings of the Dove.
In another sign that all is not well behind the scenes, it is claimed that the series has been cut from a planned six episodes to four.
Entertainment website Collider reported this week that its own sources claimed a crew that was prepping the Obi-Wan series shoot at Pinewood Studios in London had been sent home after being told that work on the show would be paused “indefinitely.”
Rumors began circulating on social media last week that the show had been canceled, but Thursday’s reports suggest the production has not been abandoned. The news is nevertheless still a big surprise as the Star Wars spin-off had been expected to begin shooting sometime this year.
It’s unusual for a production to experience such serious issues shortly before shooting begins. Tweaks to the script won’t be unusual, but ditching them entirely, as has been reported, is a troubling development not only for everyone involved in the project but for Star Wars fans, too. Collider’s source said it was Obi-Wan producer Kathleen Kennedy who had voiced concerns about the scripts, leading to the apparent decision to drop them.
With the hunt now on for a new writer, it’s impossible to say when work on the Obi-Wan series will restart, but with actors and crew often running to tight schedules, further disruption could be on the way.
Either way, THR says its sources are adamant that McGregor and director Deborah Chow remain attached to the project.
We’ve reached out to Disney+ and Lucasfilm for comment and will update this article when we hear back.
- The future of Star Wars: All the known movies and TV series coming your way
- Star Wars: Episode IX — The Rise of Skywalker: Everything you need to know
- Final season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars gets epic trailer for Disney+ premiere
- Disney+: Everything you need to know about Disney’s streaming service
- Taika Waititi can’t save Star Wars unless Lucasfilm gets out of his way
- Battlefront 2 Battle of Geonosis DLC adds Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Ewan McGregor is back as Obi-Wan Kenobi for new Disney+ series
- Obi-Wan Kenobi Could Star In Star Wars' Next Standalone Movie
- The Star Wars Obi-Wan movie is reportedly legit – read the leaked plot synopsis here, younglings
- Star Wars Rumors: Obi Wan Kenobi Will Have His Own Standalone Spin-Off Film
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Obi-Wan Kenobi Coming Next Week
- DICE Developer Gives Star Wars Battlefront II Fans First Look at Obi-Wan Kenobi
- Obi-Wan Kenobi joins Battlefront 2’s roster next week
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 is getting Obi-Wan Kenobi and a new map in a free update
- Star Wars Battlefront 2 Bringing Obi-Wan Kenobi Back In November