Viewers savaged the Lose You to Love Me singer’s opening act, dragging her live rendition of that song and Look at Her Now at the awards show in Los Angeles today, calling it “horrible” and “embarrassing”.
Ironically, the lyrics to Lose You to Love Me – rumoured to be about her ex-boyfriend, Justin Bieber – actually references singing off-key.
“You promised the world and I fell for it. I put you first and you adored it. Set fires to my forest. And you let it burn. Sang off-key in my chorus. ’Cause it wasn’t yours,” Gomez sang to the audience at the Microsoft Theatre.
On social media, Gomez’s performance was branded “terrible” and “cringe-worthy”.
Though others praised Gomez for delivering an “emotionally-charged” and “powerful” show, to a star-studded crowd including Taylor Swift and Halsey, who both gave her a standing ovation.
— Mike Adam (@MikeAdamOnAir) November 25, 2019
Um no, that was horrible. Worse than 2007 Britney VMA
— Cheeks (@MyNameIsCheeks) November 25, 2019
It was terrible
— mcnicarambeau (@thomas75175892) November 25, 2019
Did I hear her right off key on her first song or am I wrong. Still love her.
— itsJustLei (@dazzlinlei) November 25, 2019
It was so embarrassing
— infinity cat (@br4yl1n) November 25, 2019
— vic (@whosaysrare) November 25, 2019
Of course, Gomez recently stood up for Swift during her bitter war-of-words with music mogul Scoot Braun, over the sale of Swift’s masters.
Speaking about Swift, Gomez described her as “the most dedicated, fearless, feisty, strongest woman” and hoped there would be a “change of heart over this unfortunate situation”. Earlier, Gomez strutted the red carpet wearing a neon-green Versace mini-dress, teamed with a pair of matching citrus-coloured stilettos.
Meantime, Swift gave a powerful performance at the AMAs, where she was honoured with Artist of the Decade, amid her messy feud with Braun.
The 29-year-old pop star opened her career-spanning medley pointedly, performing the chorus of new album track The Man, a song about her frustration with sexist double standards.
She was dressed in what looked almost like a straight-jacket, emblazoned with the titles of her previous albums she no longer owns, as she sang:
“I’m so sick of running as fast as I can / Wondering if I’d get there quicker if I was a man
And I’m so sick of them coming at me again / ‘Cause if I was a man then I’d be the man”
After winning Artist of the Year, Swift delved a little deeper into one of the “hardest” years of her life.
“The last year of my life has had the most amazing times and the hardest things I’ve gone through in my life, and not a lot of them have not been public,” she said.
“Your stock is either up or down, people either like you or don’t, but the ones who’ve hung in there with you are the ones you never forget.
“This year has been a lot. it’s been a lot of good, and a lot of really complicated. On behalf of my family and me, thank you so much for being there and caring.”
Swift’s medley, in full was Love Story, I Knew You Were Trouble, Blank Space, Shake It Off with Halsey and Camilla Cabello, and Lover.
- BTS bags two American Music Awards, Taylor Swift is artist of the year again
- No, Selena Gomez Is Not Retiring From Music
- Selena Gomez is the jealous owner of a surreal beauty salon in Selfish Love music video with DJ Snake
- Grammys 2021: Beyoncé, Billie Eilish, Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande win big at music awards show
- Chris Martin covers up during grocery run in Malibu... as Coldplay wins Best Rock trophy at MTV Europe Music Awards
- Iconic songwriter Hal David dies at 91 in Los Angeles
- John Legend Pays Tribute To Wife Chrissy Teigen In First Performance Since Pregnancy Loss
- Grammy Awards 2021: Trevor Noah set to host as he posts tongue in cheek announcement
- Pittsburgh Country Duo Dan + Shay Vying For 2021 Grammy Award Tonight
- 'He wasn't in pain and he had a nice final day': Jeopardy! executive producer reveals Alex Trebek spent his final day on a swing in his backyard with his wife
Viewers savage Selena Gomez’s ‘painful’, ‘off-key’ performance at American Music Awards in Los Angeles have 816 words, post on www.news.com.au at November 25, 2019. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.