New Zealand prime minister Jacinda Ardern was left red-faced after opening her first official visit to Japan by confusing the country for China. Ms Ardern had only just landed in Tokyo when she hailed “an incredibly exciting time for New Zealand in its relationship with China”. She immediately corrected herself, saying “excuse me sorry, with Japan”. Asked about the blunder later, she blamed jet lag. “You’ll understand I’ve been on continuous travel and just this moment I stopped here.” The slip of the tongue was particularly unfortunate as her visit coincided with the Asia New Zealand Foundation saying the country’s relationship with Tokyo had “underperformed in the last few decades”. The foundation’s chief, Simon Draper, said: “Perhaps we have taken the relationship with Japan a little bit for granted.” Ms Ardern will be hoping to warm relations with the country’s prime minister Shinzo Abe during her five-day visit, conscious that Japan is New Zealand’s fourth largest trading partner and worth £4.45 billion each year. The pair will watch an All Blacks match in the country on Saturday as part of the Rugby World Cup. Following her meeting with Mr Abe on Thursday, she hailed the countries as “close friends who share common values and interests”, adding:… Read full this story
- Meghan Markle and New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern reportedly met up again at Kensington Palace
- New Zealand PM's reassurance on lamb
- New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern brands No Deal 'very difficult' in solemn warning
- UK PM Discussed With New Zealand's Prime Minister Future Deal, CPTPP Membership
- Air New Zealand flight to China forced to turn back for not having the 'regulatory authority to land'
- ‘Rowdy’ Brit traveller family behind New Zealand rampage ‘now hiding out in the mountains terrified locals are going to attack them
- Scottish couple charged £500 for FIVE-MINUTE taxi journey while on holiday in New Zealand
- New Zealand to carry out Huawei threat assessment
- Meteor or Russian Satellite? Fireball in New Zealand Sky Leaves Users Guessing
- Incoming Wales coach buzzing at prospect of New Zealand tour
New Zealand PM confuses Japan for China after landing in Tokyo have 347 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at September 19, 2019. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.