If you were paying attention during yesterday’s iPhone launch you might have noticed that the new iPhone 11 got a new feature. A feature that Apple has been resisting for some years now, but finally gave in to in the face of weakening sales.
No, it wasn’t the improved camera, faster processor, or longer battery life.
It was a price cut. A small price cut, but a price cut nonetheless.
This price cut was a big or a surprise, especially given how Apple has been slowly raising the price of the iPhone over the past few years. But yesterday saw Apple cut the piece of its entry-level iPhone from $750 to $700. A small price cut in real terms, but a sign that Apple is feeling the pressure, especially at the lower end.
The starting price of the higher-specced models remains the same, at $1,000 and $1,100.
A $50 price cut for the entry-level iPhone suggests that Apple wants to get more people at the bottom end to buy iPhones. The $750 iPhone XR became Apple’s best-selling iPhone, while sales of the higher-priced version lagged, especially in markets such as China, which are key markets for Apple to make headway into.
Apple will also continue to sell older models for at a discounted price. The iPhone 8 sees its starting price slashed to $450 for the 64GB model (this was previously the price for a 32GB iPhone 7), while the iPhone XR is down to $600.
However, the much-rumored “cut-priced” iPhone aimed at the Chinese market was a no-show.
Does a $50 price cut make you more likely to go out and buy a new iPhone?
- Everything unveiled and what it means
- Where to find all the best deals
- iPhone 11 models: Specs, features, prices
- iPhone 11 Pro or Galaxy Note 10 Plus?
- Apple’s slow-motion decline from insanely great to overpriced also-ran
- 3D Touch was fun while it lasted
- iPhone 11 gets a much-needed new feature
- iPhone 11 Pro and Max: Better cameras, night mode (CNET)
- Apple Arcade: Sept. 19 for $4.99 per month (CNET)
- iPhone 11 Pro review: Camera is king in Apple's top-end smartphone
- How to buy a new iPhone 11 and 11 Pro right now
- iPhone 11, Pro, Max: These are the cheapest carriers for Apple's pricey new phones
- iPhone 11, 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max: 6 things you didn't know about Apple's new phones
- Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max Review: More Than Anything Else, The Camera is Truly Pro
- iPhone 11 and 11 Pro launch: Apple fanatics line up around the globe
- Apple’s iPhone 11 Pro challenge: Turning new iPhone's modest upgrades into must-have features
- Want the best low-light portraits? The iPhone XR bests the XS, but Pixel 3 reigns
- iPhone 11 deals from just £19 a month as we reveal best offers for ANY budget
- Apple’s secret ‘AirPods Pro’ could launch this week in eight new colours to match new iPhone 11