Telstra has acknowledged it is suffering an outage that has taken out some of the essentials of 21st century Australian life: ATMs and Eftpos terminals.
“We’re currently looking into an issue affecting services including Eftpos and access to ATMs,” the company said in a tweet at 4:19pm AEST on Thursday.
“We’re sorry if this impacts you. We’ll keep you updated as we know more.”
Australia’s banks were hit to various degrees.
The Commonwealth Bank said the outage took out some of its ATMs and Eftpos services, as well as some in-branch services and CommSec logins. The outage then cascaded into a higher number of calls than usual into its call centre.
Westpac said it was aware of some branches in Sydney being “non-operational due to a broader network failure in the region”.
“Our teams are communicating with external providers on when services will be restored & we’ll keep you updated. Online banking is working normally,” the red and white bank said.
ANZ acknowledged its Eftpos machines were also impacted.
For the red and black bank, the outage has seen terminals across New South Wales impacted, and parts of Queensland affected. NAB’s HICAPS health claims and payments system was also hit.
The outage is also having a crippling impact on the nation’s fast food industry.
“Ordered my food at @maccas drivethrough, move up and stuck between cars for just short of 20 minutes after ordering. at the window I’m told there is no eftpos, and so I can’t get what I ordered,” one Twitter user wrote.
“Staff wouldn’t even look at me to apologise.”
- Telstra ditches unlimited data in mobile plan shake-up
- Victoria to trial automated vehicles in partnership with Telstra and Lexus
- Telstra upgrades transmission network to 100Gbps minimum
- Telstra finds 5G energy levels sitting well under safety limits
- Telstra deploys private LTE network in PNG volcanic crater gold mine
- Meet the man who invented America’s first ATM 50 years ago
- Haryana duo held for ATM fraud in Chennai
- Orleans County thieves nab 1 ATM, damage another
- #TwitterDown Trends as Worldwide Outage Hits Social Network
- Myanmar: Banknotes in boxes and power outages
- Criminals intensify ATM skimming attacks
- Men used stolen van to steal ATM machine: State police
- Hackers crack the secret of making bank machines print FREE MONEY and ATM manufacturers don’t know how to stop them
- Here are seven sneaky ATM scams used to steal your money… so would YOU have spotted any of them before it was too late?
- Irishman stamped fox to death after it attacked his wife at an ATM