AT&T’s super speedy 5G network is coming to the MGM Resorts NBA Summer League in Las Vegas this month, the carrier announced Wednesday. AT&T will work with the NBA to use 5G to stream video at games on July 10 and 11.
5G, the next-generation mobile network, provides faster speeds, more capacity and lower latency, or the time it takes a stream or download to begin once you’ve requested it. AT&T initially launched 5G in December in parts of Charlotte and Raleigh, North Carolina; Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Waco, Texas; Jacksonville, Florida; Louisville, Kentucky; and Atlanta, Indianapolis, New Orleans and Oklahoma City.
In April AT&T expanded its 5G network to parts of Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Jose and San Diego, California; Austin, Texas; Orlando, Florida; and Nashville.
AT&T then added 5G to Vegas at the end of June.
During the NBA games, AT&T will partner with Ericsson to allow the NBA to live stream live video from Samsung devices in the stands to the NBA production truck, using the LiveU Smart mobile app. This footage will then be transferred from the truck to ESPN’s network broadcast offices to be used in live coverage of the games.
State Sen. Mo Denis said it will showcase what benefits 5G can bring. AT&T said it “could open up new ways for fans to engage with the games and their broadcasts.”
AT&T’s 5G network
CNET’s tests of the AT&T 5G network saw speeds that were consistently over 1Gbps, often hitting 1.6 to 1.7Gbps. After running 12 tests with the Speedtest.net benchmarking app, eight were over 1.4Gbps.
AT&T’s top speed during CNET testing was 1.782Gbps — faster than the top speed of 1.3Gbps we saw on Verizon’s 5G network in Chicago and the 484Mbps top mark we recorded on Sprint’s 5G network in Dallas.
iOS 13 comes with new Siri voice, dark mode, privacy features: All the new software Apple will soon deliver to your iPhone.
We tested 5G speeds in 13 cities. Here’s what we found: Faster speed versus more coverage. That’s the most important issue for 5G networks today.
- Report: NBA Summer League expanding to Sacramento in 2018
- New York Knicks: Why NBA Summer League matters
- Lakers: D-Fenders Vets Talk NBA Summer League, Country Music and More
- The Replay with El and Al: NBA Summer 2k16
- 3 undrafted free agents to watch in NBA Summer League
- Chicago Bulls rookie Denzel Valentine wins NBA Summer League at buzzer
- 24 teams set for NBA Summer League in Las Vegas in July
- Quarterfinal matchups being set at NBA Summer League
- Quarterfinal matchups set at NBA Summer League
- Rounding up the end of the NBA summer