Are UFOs real? Over 600,000 have pledged to find out. A Facebook event named Storm Area 51, They Can’t Stop All of Us has become an internet sensation. At the time of writing, 639,000 users have signed up to attend the event, located in the deserts of Nevada, and another 596,000 are “interested” in attending (read: cowards).
Here’s the plan, as per the creator of the event: “We will all meet up at the Area 51 Alien Center tourist attraction and coordinate our entry. If we Naruto run, we can move faster than their bullets. Let’s see them aliens.”
“Naruto run” refers to the main character in the eponymous Naruto anime, as seen below. So, that’s it. After decades of mystery, humanity will Naruto run its way to unravelling alien life.
It’s not going to happen. Unfortunately, the event is fake. Fortunately, the memes are real. In an instance of the internet unifying over a key issue of our time, Twitter, Facebook and Reddit really gave us the goods.
Area 51 is a highly classified zone around 150 miles from Las Vegas, Nevada, part of the Edwards Air Force Base. No one really knows what the base is used for, though it’s speculated to be for aircraft development, and as such Area 51 has become synonymous with alien conspiracies. The most popular ones involve alien spaceships or aliens themselves, all allegedly housed within the classified zone.
Originally published July 11.
Update, July 12: Updates Facebook numbers. Update, July 12: Updates Facebook numbers, adds tweets.
NASA drops insane map of 4,000 planets outside our solar system: In just a few decades, we’ve gone from knowing of no planets beyond the solar system to thousands.
Using CRISPR to resurrect the woolly mammoth: Bringing extinct species back from the dead is now on the table thanks to the gene-editing technology.
- Trump Is 'Afraid' to Visit War Zone Combat Troops Because 'People Want to Kill Him': Report
- Outgoing Gov. Jerry Brown Grants Executive Clemency To 35 People In Bay Area
- Man who exposed ‘Area 51 UFO tests’ claims US government still monitors him 30 years later
- Trump won’t visit troops because ‘he’s afraid people want to kill him’
- Nutrition: Weight discrimination can impact people in all areas of their lives
- 'People want to provide for their neighbors': In Greenfield, Toy for Joy campaign sees local enthusiasm
- Camp Fire survivor from Paradise: 'I hope that people want to come back'
- Camp Fire survivor: 'I hope that people want to come back'
- People Want Democrats To Get Trump's Tax Returns, Please
- More than 100,000 people want to keep fracking out of the Delaware River basin. What will Murphy do?