As mobile carriers prepare to deploy 5G networks in metropolitan areas across the US, a new report finds that nearly one-third of American households don’t have a broadband connection. Roughly 100 million consumers lack access to high-speed internet connections of at least 25 Mbps, according to research firm NDP Group’s Rural America and Technology report, released Thursday. That’s 31% of the country.”The so-called digital divide, between those that can or cannot make the best use of the Internet, can be clearly felt in rural markets where the lack of broadband impacts everything from entertainment to the educational system,” said Eddie Hold, president of NPD Connected Intelligence, in a release. “And even the state level data masks the underlying reality that in the most rural markets in America, less than 20 percent of households have a broadband connection.”NDP’s report is the latest to chart the growing divide between rural and urban internet access rates. In 2016, the FCC found that 39% of rural Americans lacked broadband. Pew Research Center’s 2019 report found rural Americans are now 12% less likely to have home broadband. However, the rollout of 5G, the next generation of wireless technology that promises to greatly enhance the speed, coverage and responsiveness… Read full this story
- 4.8 million American children are obese, report reveals - and poor kids are over twice as likely to have unhealthy weights as their rich peers
- Why Middlesbrough skyscrapers plan is 'not another pipe-dream'
- Six Million Americans Have This Toxic Chemical in Their Drinking Water
- Fed Up With Deaths, Native Americans Want to Run Their Own Health Care
- What advantage is there in going from dial up to broadband?
- Huawei Seeks to License 5G Technology to US Company
- BT to launch 5G network in 20 UK towns and cities this week
- Mobile 5G internet ‘will only benefit one in four people’ and many still struggle to get 4G, price comparison site warns
- Rural internet is key to Iowa’s development, but broadband’s real reach is murky
- Ericsson Says Huge Demand for 5G in India: IMC 2019
5G pipe dream: Millions of Americans lack broadband still have 345 words, post on www.cnet.com at July 25, 2019. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.