Spurs and Liverpool both produced sensational semi-final second-leg comebacks against Ajax and Barcelona respectively to reach the final, which will take place at Atletico Madrid’s Wanda Metropolitano stadium.
Uefa chose Slovenian referee Skomina as the man to officiate the all-English clash, and the 42-year-old has plenty of recent experience of European finals.
Skomina took charge of the Manchester United’s Europa League Final triumph over Ajax in 2017 and oversaw Atletico’s 3-0 Uefa Super Cup win against Chelsea back in 2012, with tonight’s match set to see his complete a European treble.
Having been the fourth official at the 2013 Champions League Final – when Bayern Munich beat Borussia Dortmund 2-1 at Wembley – he has now been awarded the top honour for a referee at club level in Europe.
Skomina has overseen four Champions League matches this season, and one Liverpool game – the Reds’ vital 1-0 home win over Napoli to send them into the knockout stages.
He also officiated Man Utd’s sensational comeback win over PSG in Paris at the last-16 stage, deciding to award the visitors a last-minute penalty – which Marcus Rashford scored – after consulting VAR.
Skomina, who took up refereeing at the age of 15 in 1992, told Uefa: “I didn’t set myself these targets.
“But I feel I’ve worked very hard over the years to get this far. I’m hugely proud of being chosen for this match.”
Champions League Final officials
- Referee: Damir Skomina (Slovenia)
- Assistant Referees: Jure Praprotnik, Robert Vukan (both from Slovenia)
- Fourth official: Antonio Mateu Lahoz (Spain)
- Video Assistant Referee: Danny Makkelie (Netherlands)
- VAR Assistants: Pol van Boekel (Netherlands), Felix Zwayer (Germany)
- Offside VAR: Mark Borsch (Germany)
Follow all tonight’s action with Standard Sport’s LIVE blog!
- Tottenham vs. Liverpool Champions League final complicates Nations League bid - Southgate
- Champions League final is a distant memory as Spurs stumbles
- Referee, VAR in spotlight as Al Ahly win Champions League final first leg
- Al-Ahly's Walid Azaro suspended for CAF Champions League final
- Champions League final feels too close to call, legend Barnes tells Evening Express
- Atletico Madrid target Champions League final after Super Cup win - president
- Monterrey gains slight advantage over Tigres in CONCACAF Champions League final
- Gignac can add to his legend as Tigres meet Monterrey in CONCACAF Champions League final
- Wembley to host 2023 Champions League final
- Battle of styles as Monterrey meet Tigres in CONCACAF Champions League final
Damir Skomina: Champions League Final referee have 405 words, post on www.standard.co.uk at June 1, 2019. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.