A Latvian man has been convicted of a driving offence in the UK – despite having never set foot in the country.
Edmunds Brikainis, 23, who has lived in Reykavik, Iceland, since 2016, believes the blunder was linked to his identity card and driving licence being stolen when he was in Latvia.
He was found guilty in absence of failing to provide driving details at Lincoln Magistrates’ Court in 2018, incurring a £660 fine and six points on his licence.
Lincolnshire Live reports that his address was listed as Knight Place, Lincoln, with the court, even though he says he has never been to the UK.
Mr Brikainis also discovered to his horror that he was listed as the director of two construction companies whose registered offices were listed as the Knight Place address.
He told Lincolnshire Live that he only discovered this and the criminal conviction after a friend in Latvia Googled his name last year
Mr Brikainis said: “My friend informed me that by typing my name and surname in google.lv it is possible to find my name as the owner of two companies registered on April 10, 2017 in the UK in several commercial pages.
“Moreover, I realised that I was listed as a UK resident, although I have never been to the UK and I have not registered any companies.
“I contacted Companies House explaining the situation and they dissolved the companies on September 18, 2018.
“Then in April this year I found out my name was in the court file on Lincolnshire Live – the illegal activity of using my personal data and documents in ongoing.”
Mr Brikainis, a human resources manager, said that his wallet was stolen in 2016 and someone could be impersonating him.
He said: “On August 27, 2016, in Latvia, Riga, my wallet with documents including an identification card and driving licence was stolen.
“I informed the state police of Latvia about this. I have also written to Lincolnshire Police to investigate the illegal use of my personal data.”
Mr Brikainis was also ordered to pay a surcharge to fund victim services of £66 and costs of £85.
Top news stories from Mirror Online
- Man charged with driving offences after north Belfast incident
- Police charge man (34) with burglary offences, theft and criminal damage
- Who is Bradley Wright? Amy Childs’ ex-boyfriend and dad to Polly with convictions for theft and driving offences
- Man, 38, charged with driving offences after crash near Nottingham's Forest Rec
- Colchester man due at Ipswich Crown Court on series of driving offences following collision in Essex town
- Man charged in connection with 'numerous dangerous driving offences'
- Image released of 39-year-old Northampton man wanted by police for driving offences
- Man charged with several offences after horror crash sees car flip into home in quiet Peterborough street
- Admitted two driving offences
- Leighton Buzzard man charged with multiple offences