Grumpy Cat, a feline whose perpetual scowl turned countless frowns upside-down, died Tuesday, her family said.
The 7-year-old meme-machine kitty from Arizona, whose real name was Tardar Sauce, encountered fatal complications after a urinary tract infection, a tweet entitled “Some days are grumpier than others” revealed Friday. She died peacefully in owner Tabatha Bundesen’s arms.
“Besides being our baby and a cherished member of the family, Grumpy Cat has helped millions of people smile all around the world — even when times were tough,” the tribute reads. “Her spirit will continue to live on through her fans everywhere.”
Grumpy Cat’s sour-puss expression was the result of dwarfism and an underbite. She rose to fame in 2012 after Bundesen’s brother Bryan uploaded a photo of her to Reddit, claiming a “best cat on the internet” award the following year and raking in money for her owner. She even inspired a 2014 Christmas movie.
In 2015, Grumpy Cat was less than impressed at being honored at Madame Tussauds in San Francisco, and when President Barack Obama mimicked her as he described the Republican Party’s outlook on America.
People took to Twitter, where Grumpy Cat had 1.5 million followers, to mourn her passing and to celebrate some choice memes she inspired.
First published at 3:23 a.m. PT.Updated at 5:00 a.m. PT: Adds more detail.
- Grumpy cat the Instagram feline celeb has died
- Farewell, Grumpy Cat: world's favourite online feline dies
- Grumpy Cat, Pouty-Faced Internet Sensation, Dead at 7
- Grumpy Cat has died
- Grumpy Cat, viral meme sensation, has died at age 7
- I haz wins: Grumpy Cat in $710,000 court payout
- Grumpy Cat, viral meme sensation, dies aged 7
- Internet sensation Grumpy Cat dies aged 7
- Internet sensation Grumpy Cat dies at the age of seven