The Facebook coin would be tied to the US dollar and remain stable unlike bitcoin, the report said.
Libra Networks was set up in Geneva several weeks ago, Swiss publication Handelszeitung found, with Libra being the social network giant’s internal project name for the currency.
The Swiss company is owned by Facebook Global Holdings II in Ireland, the report said, and will focus on developing the software and hardware related to the currency, including across payments, blockchain, analytics, big data, and identity management.
Facebook didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.
- Switzerland's FINMA boss says Facebook's Libra handled transparently
- UPDATE 1-Switzerland's FINMA boss fears crypto's "dark corners," not Libra
- Switzerland's FINMA boss fears crypto's 'dark corners,' not Libra
- Facebook cryptocurrency could be announced in June 2019
- Facebook cryptocurrency could be announced in June
- New Internet: Blockchain Technology Could Help Us Take Back Our Data from Facebook, Google and Amazon
- Facebook's secret project could be used to spy on you
- Waters leads a chorus of caution about Facebook cryptocurrency
- The Facebook’s Libra Saga Continues