They live in compounds deep in the mountains, sharing conspiracies about who really runs things while cleaning their illegal firearms and awaiting the end of the world. One, channelling Donald Trump, is running for the Montana legislature and asks you to suppress disproportionately black voters opposed to his far-right agenda by murdering them. His ex-wife kills “flag burning socialists” from a helicopter with the efficiency of a South American military junta. They are somehow the best anti-fascist heroes Ubisoft could come up with for Far Cry 5. We’ve seen a few games released during the Trump administration attempt a critique of fascism in America. The ones that succeed aren’t afraid to tell players that white supremacy isn’t some weird aberration in an otherwise egalitarian republic, but a founding principle of American democracy. By contrast, Ubisoft clearly wanted the aesthetic of resistance to fascism in America without all the baggage of critiquing whites, Christians, Republicans, police, and the other groups intertwined with fascism. Bald-faced fascists don’t congregate in inordinately large numbers everywhere in America, but they do where I live: northwest Montana, not far from the Idaho panhandle. The main reason neo-Nazis, militias, white supremacists, and other far-right groups have thrived… Read full this story
- Far-right, anti-fascist protests end peacefully in German city
- Research project on Indonesian War 1945-1949: Ignorance and lost opportunity
- Far Cry 5 hopes for a cult following
- Migration is an essential of human history
- The plot to subvert an election: Unravelling the Russia story so far
- American fascism: Reading the signs of the times
- The Real Jeffrey Epstein Scandal Has Unfolded In Front of an Indifferent Public For Decades
- What have we learned so far?
- The entropy wars: five financial uncertainties of 2018 (so far)
- True martial law histories
Far Cry 5 ignores both Montana's real history of fascism and its victims have 286 words, post on www.rockpapershotgun.com at January 4, 2019. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.