VALENTINE’S Day can be expensive – but the Co-op is helping couples keep costs low by launching a romantic meal deal for £8.
This year, the offer includes prime cut rump steaks – but it is £2 pricier than last year’s deal.
Last year, Co-op’s meal deal was one of the cheapest around at £6.
This year, it’s gone up in price by £2 – but you now get steak as one of the options for the extra money.
The offer includes a main for two, and either two sides or one side and a dessert from Co-op’s luxury Irresistible range.
We’ve worked out the best value combination so you can really get your money’s worth.
What’s included in the Co-op’s £8 Valentine’s Day meal deal?
HERE’S what you can get for your £8 at the Co-op:
Pick one main:
- NEW Irresistible Hereford Rump Steak, 300g per steak (two), £6
- Irresistible Pecorino Mac & Cheese, 700g, £6 (V)
- Irresistible Chicken in White Wine Sauce, 530g, £6
- Irresistible Lasagne Al Forno, 700g, £4.99
Pick two sides, or one side and one dessert:
- Irresistible Triple Cooked Chunky Chips, 400g, £2.80
- Irresistible Dauphinoise Potatoes, 400g, £2.80
- Irresistible Asparagus and Tenderstem Broccoli Medley, 160g, £2.50
- Irresistible Chocolate Melt in the Middle Puddings, 2s, £3 (we’ve asked for individual weights and we will update when the Co-op gets back to us)
- NEW Irresistible Sticky Toffee Pudding, 250g, £3
The best main to pick is a 700g Irresistible Pecorino Mac & Cheese for £6 as it’s one of the joint-priciest options and it contains the most food.
You should then choose one of the £3 desserts – either the two-pack Irresistible Chocolate Melt in the Middle Puddings or the 250g Irresistible Sticky Toffee Pudding.
We then advise choosing one of two £2.80 sides – either the 400g Irresistible Triple Cooked Chunky Chips or the 400g Irresistible Dauphinoise Potatoes.
The items should cost £11.80 in total so you’ll save £3.80 by picking up the deal.
Even the worst value combination will save you money.
Picking the 700g £4.99 Irresistible Lasagne Al Forno and two 160g £2.50 Irresistible Asparagus and Tenderstem Broccoli Medleys adds up to £9.99 – saving you £1.99.
At £8, Co-op’s meal deal is more expensive than the cheapest Valentine’s deal at Aldi, which starts from £6.77 for two including a main, side dish and dessert.
But Aldi’s offer isn’t a set price so shoppers can potentially save more money by choosing Co-op.
The Co-op’s dine-in deal is nearly half the price of Asda’s £15 offer – but it doesn’t include as much.
Asda’s meal deal comes with starters, mains, side dishes, desserts and a bottle of wine.
Meanwhile M&S and Tesco have similar Valentine’s Day deals to Asda priced at £20 for two.
Book a holiday from £9.50 with The Sun!
FANCY getting away from it all?
Our Hols from £9.50 are back!
This means you could book a break at one of 333 holiday parks across the UK and abroad, for under a tenner!
All you need to do is collect TEN Sun Savers codes or TEN tokens or codewords printed in The Sun. This round is running between Saturday, January 5 and Tuesday, January 29.
If you’re collecting Sun Savers codes: ENTER YOUR CODES HERE
If you’re collecting tokens or codewords use the booking form or book online at thesun.co.uk/holidays
- Price per person based on four sharing. Subject to availability. Terms and conditions and date restrictions apply. For full T&Cs see thesun.co.uk/holidays.
The Co-op’s offer will launch in stores only on Wednesday, February 6 and will last until shops close on Thursday, February 14.
It’s not the only heart-y deal available at the Co-op.
The supermarket is selling a bottle of its Irresistible Prosecco – normally £8 – and a 200g box of Lindt Lindor Milk Cornet Box – normally £4 – for £10, which saves £2.
The offer runs until February 20 in stores only.
Kevin Sargent, Co-op’s senior product developer, said: “Each Irresistible product is made using expert techniques and the finest ingredients which have been carefully sourced and selected to create truly delicious dishes. Perfect for impressing that special someone on the most romantic day of the year.”
Millions of Brits on Universal Credit missing out on £1,200 free cash
KFC launch limited-edition GRAVY scented candles – but there are only 230
HIGHWAY TO HELL
Motorists warned about fake ticket wardens as driver is conned out of £3k
Subway’s saver menu is back – and the subs cost from £2.60
What’s Universal Credit and who is eligible to claim it?
What’s the price of a Freddo bar & how has it changed over the years?
There are more than 4,000 Co-op branches in the UK, with 70,000 employees. You can find your nearest food shop using its online shop finder tool.
The Co-op is planning to open 100 more stores this year in a bid to take on larger supermarkets.
Meanwhile the group and rival Tesco is testing out robot deliveries that whizz groceries to your door in 15 minutes.
We pay for your stories! Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team? Email us at [email protected]or call 0207 78 24516. Don’t forget to join the Sun Money’s Facebook group for the latest bargains and money-saving advice.
- Best Father’s Day iPad Deals 2020: iPad 10.2 and iPad Pro
- These are the best cheap Amazon Echo deals for July 2020
- Best 4th of July Robot Vacuum Deals 2020: Eufy and Roomba
- The best Nintendo Switch deals and bundles for July 2020
- Best hangover cures to help you recover this weekend - including a free takeaway
- Children getting bored? Don’t miss these cheap kids tablet deals for July 2020
- The best Instant Pot, Ninja, and Dash air fryer deals for July 2020
- Marks and Spencer launches low-calorie food box of ready meals for £30
- These are the best cheap blender deals for July 2020
- These are the best cheap lawn mower deals for July 2020
Co-op’s £8 Valentine’s Day meal deal includes STEAK – but it’s £2 more expensive than last year have 991 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 21, 2019. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.