When Ubisoft announced Far Cry 5 last May, it probably had some idea it was going to touch a nerve. Indeed, the planned setting — a community in small-town Montana ruled by a militaristic doomsday cult called the Project at Eden’s Gate — had taken on a timely new dimension since the rise of the alt-right and the ascent to office of Donald Trump, developments that would have been difficult for anyone at Ubisoft to predict when conceiving of the game years prior. Suddenly the story of nefarious religious despot Joseph Seed looked an awful lot like an attempt at pointed political satire, and the more white nationalists and emboldened fundamentalists endeavored to Make America Great Again, the more relevant Far Cry 5 couldn’t help but seem.Naturally, the right balked. Gamers indignant about the milieu complained that Far Cry 5 represented nothing less than a “white genocide simulator.” On Twitter, irate fans railed against Ubisoft for caving to the demands of the dreaded Social Justice Warriors, suggesting the game’s antagonists ought to be Islamists or inner-city gangs instead of rural white Americans minding their business in the south. A much-circulated Change.org petition called for Ubisoft to cancel the game: “We,… Read full this story
- How ‘Cuties’ Is Fueling the Far Right’s Obsession With Pedophilia
- Far-Right Activist Charles Johnson Has Sued Twitter Over His Suspension
- War Lobby Worried: Third of US Students Support Israel Boycott
- The Supreme Court Has a Long History of Thwarting Democracy. Justice Amy Coney Barrett Is About to Add to It.
- Best podcasts 2020: what's worth listening to right now
- The 53 best shows on Hulu right now
- Millwall fans APPLAUD as players link arms carrying anti-racism banner before some take the knee after controversy over BOOS before Saturday's match – but did stadium drown out dissent with loud music?
- The 44 best comedies to watch on Netflix right now
- The Long, Weird History of the
- The best shows to binge-watch on Netflix right now
When it comes to controversy, Far Cry 5 will be on the right side of history have 318 words, post on www.gamesradar.com at April 10, 2018. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.