U.S. immigration officials have begun preparing for a major sweep in San Francisco and other Northern California cities in which federal officers would look to arrest more than 1,500 undocumented people while sending a message that immigration policy will be enforced in the sanctuary state, according to a source familiar with the operation. Officials at Immigration and Customs Enforcement, known as ICE, declined to comment Tuesday on plans for the operation. The campaign, centered in the Bay Area, could happen within weeks, and is expected to become the biggest enforcement action of its kind under President Trump, said the source, who requested anonymity because the plans have not been made public. Trump has expressed frustration that sanctuary laws — which seek to protect immigrants and persuade them not to live in the shadows by restricting cooperation between local and federal authorities — get in the way of his goal of tightening immigration. The operation would go after people who have been identified as targets for deportation, including those who have been served with final deportation orders and those with criminal histories, the source said. The number could tick up if officers come across other undocumented immigrants in the course of… Read full this story
- Oregon authorities investigating alleged deceptive tactics in sanctuary law repeal effort: report
- How Justice Kennedy went from Northern California to the Supreme Court bench
- Head of Northern California park improperly solicited funds, probe shows
- Here are all the discounts Prime members can now get at Whole Foods in Northern California
- Raul Vazquez of Oportun named EY Entrepreneur Of The Year® 2018 Award Winner in Northern California
- Northern California wildfires, map: Hot weather and gusty winds worsen some blazes
- Northern California ranch, nearly the size of San Francisco, listed for $31 million
- Brexit halts Harvey Norman plans for Northern Ireland
- Northern California Is Burning Up Again
- Wildfires threaten Northern California homes, national park in New...
Feds planning massive Northern California immigration sweep to strike against sanctuary laws have 317 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at January 17, 2018. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.