GOOGLE Drive for Mac/PC which helps millions of people store important files and pictures on their computers is being scrapped and replaced with two new storage options.
Here’s everything you need to know about this change and your alternative options?
Support for Google Drive for Mac/PC will be cut off from December 11 and it will shutdown on March 12 next year.
Users who are still using the drive app will start seeing notifications in October telling them drive for Mac/PC is “going away”.
Customers will be advised to use one of two alternative cloud storage options – Backup and Sync, and Drive File Stream
If a user starts running both Drive File Stream and Backup and Sync on the same machine, they’ll be advised to stop syncing My Drive with Backup and Sync to save disk space.
You can still access Google Drive in the meantime for the web, smartphone apps and either of the two new software options.
The new desktop application Drive File Stream became available today (Friday September 8).
This allows customers to access their Google Drive files on demand directly from their computer.
The service saves space on your computer’s hard drive by hosting all your files in the cloud, reported The Verge.com.
Instead of downloading a Word file onto your computer, editing it, and uploading again, with Drive File Stream you can simply open and edit the file from cloud.
In a blog post Google said: “Say goodbye to time-consuming file syncing and any concerns about disk space.
“With Drive File Stream, all your files are always ready for you and your colleagues.”
More standard users may prefer to Backup and Sync, which is already available and essentially combines Google Drive and Google Photos.
It works in the same way and has the functionality as Google Drive.
It allows people to pick and choose the files they would like to backup rather than syncing a whole folder.
- Amazon Echo, Google Home or Sonos One: which smart speaker should I buy?
- 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro Second Drive
- iPadOS will let you plug flash drives, memory cards into your iPad
- Best Windows and Mac laptops and desktops for holiday gifts for 2019
- Down 12, Ohio State pulls off 2 perfect drives to win at Penn State
- N.F.L.’s Alternate ‘Cheerleaders’ Don’t Cheer or Dance. They Mingle.
- Google Pairing Up with Ford on Its Autonomous-Car Project Makes Perfect Sense—Here’s Why
- GM Watching Google’s Autonomous-Car Project with a Wary Eye
- Washington: Activist Judge Shuts Down Anti-Camera Vote
- Google self-driving Lexus crashes into a bus
When is Google Drive for Mac/PC being shut down, what will happen to your files and what are the alternatives? have 426 words, post on www.thesun.ie at September 8, 2017. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.