Some books are written with ink on paper; others, on laptops. But a new book by the Venezuelan opposition leader Leopoldo López was partly written on skin. Since February 2014, López has been locked up at Venezuela’s Ramo Verde prison on charges of inciting riots against the regime of President Nicolas Maduro. His sentence: more than 13 years. Shortly after he arrived, guards were ordered to keep him away from pen and paper so that he couldn’t communicate with the outside. Maduro doesn’t want López’s words reaching the world, but words can escape in other ways. “His sister Diana wrote paragraphs [of Lopez’s book] on her skin,” Lilian Tintori, López’s wife and a human-rights advocate, told me in a recent interview in Miami. “His mother wrote on her legs … I, too, wrote on small pieces of paper I took with me, or on my own skin.” These three women would collect any information they could when they visited López, then they’d smuggle his messages out, if they could elude his jailers. The end result is the new book, “Imprisoned Yet Free,” which chronicles López’s first year in prison. On his first night, he recalls, all he had in his… Read full this story
- Spain Won’t Allow Caracas Embassy to Become Political Centre for Lopez
- Colombian imprisoned for stealing US$47,350 from HCMC hotel
- Jennifer Lopez Says Owning Mets Would Be 'Amazing,' MLB Needs Women!
- Venezuela: Maduro releases several opponents from custody
- Venezuela's Nicolas Maduro releases several opponents from custody
- Venezuela pardons dozens of opposition politicians as election nears
- Kevin Klein Live announces departure from Live 105 as radio station rebrands as Alt 105.3
- No scandal here: Mexico president defends meeting mother of drug lord 'El Chapo'
- Federal Judge Refuses US Attorney’s Attempt to go Soft on Gulf Cartel Commander
- Ahmaud Arbery's killing was met with silence. His high school football coach vowed to find justice.
Leopoldo López: Imprisoned, but not silent have 320 words, post on splinternews.com at October 11, 2016. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.