Thailand has suspended motorcycle taxi-hailing services run by Uber and its regional rival Grab on claims they broke local rules and are clashing with registered transport companies.Thai authorities have also arrested 66 drivers working for both companies. They said offenders face fines of up to 4,000 baht (£77; $112) and potentially having their licences suspended.It is unclear how long the ban is for, but both companies said they were working to resolve the issues.”This is a temporary pause for a global pilot,” Uber said in a statement to the BBC.”We hope to resume services as quickly as possible and have every reason to believe, based on the positive, and productive discussion we are having with the relevant authorities in Thailand that this is possible.””Grab Thailand is a local company and we are committed to providing safe rides for all and improving the lives of our drivers,” Grab said in an e-mailed statement.It added it is looking to ensure that “GrabBike service operates within the proper guidelines and work together towards a well-regulated ecosystem of complementary transport services”.The crackdown comes just three months after Uber launched its two-wheeler service in the Thai capital Bangkok.Motorcycle taxis are popular in Bangkok because they… Read full this story
- Uber Air flying taxi service to be trialled in Melbourne
- Uber's flying taxi service pitched at government for trial in Australia
- Uber's new helicopter service is an expensive, time-consuming adventure
- Waymo’s paid driverless taxi service could launch next month, says report
- New York Yankees great Bernie Williams and Mets' Jeff Francoeur kick-off water taxi service to games
- City should keep its idea of providing more taxi service outside Manhattan as simple as possible
- Volkswagen, Intel, and Mobileye will launch a self-driving taxi service in Israel in 2019
- Police arrest man charged with mimicking shuttle bus driver at JFK airport to collect fares for fake taxi service
- UPDATE 1-Uber makes JFK airport helicopter taxis available to all users
- Uber and Grab fined $9.5 million for 'mergers that harm competition'
Thailand suspends Uber and Grab motorcycle taxi service have 339 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at May 19, 2016. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.