For as long as I can remember, I’ve always been “too fancy”. I grew up a femme tomboy in rural Northern California (picture San Francisco, and then head 300 miles due north). To give you a sense of what this means, my favorite outfits as a kid were a set of black velour overalls and an off-shoulder tulle A-line dress with a big-ass gold lame rose. I identify as femme-presenting genderqueer – before I first heard that term I used to say that my gender identity was “drag queen” – and I have always loved the performativity of fashion, hair, and makeup. Once I started developing a serious rack in middle school – I’m barely 5’ tall and went from a AA to a D cup between 6th and 9th grade – a lot of my childhood tomboy fashions went out the window because oversized Ron Jon Surf Shop tees simply don’t look good hanging off a pair of awkward adolescent boobs. I went through a period of hating myself, feeling grotesquely fat, convincing myself that no boy would ever want me (I hadn’t yet fully realized my bisexuality) because my body didn’t fit into the ‘90s zeitgeist’s concept of… Read full this story
- Just Eat are offering free delivery on McDonald’s - and you can get £5 off your next order
- Final Fantasy 7 Remake: "Even though it's a story people may know, you still feel really new, fresh and unique"
- Hà Nội man offers motocycle rides to work for free
- Evil Genius 2: World Domination feels like a thing of breezy charm
- Glass coffee mugs that’ll make your morning brew fancy & indulgent
- Schoolgirl, 17, sent home for ‘lingerie’ outfit which made her teacher feel ‘awkward’, leaving her dad raging
- Easy Pancake Day 2021 recipes – including vegan, gluten free and Slimming World
- The best free-to-play Steam games 2021
- Commentary: Don’t fall prey to the seductive lure of fancy co-working spaces
- Luxury spas in Batam? Fancy weekend getaways very close to Singapore
Feeling Myself: Fancy and Fancy-Free have 323 words, post on millihelen.jezebel.com at June 30, 2015. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.