ABC News is reporting a story of a family in Houston, TX whose baby monitor was hacked. See the embedded video of the story below. The story describes how the camera began emitting an unknown voice which spoke abusively to the children. The parents expressed relief that the 2-year-old girl in whose room the camera was located is deaf, so she didn’t hear the perpetrator yell obscenities at the child. The ABC News story does not provide a make or model of the camera, nor any details of how it was compromised, but it’s not hard to guess. It’s unfortunate that the story did not take the next logical step to ask how this happened and how it could be prevented. Instead it paints the attacker as mysterious and powerful, if still a jerk. The camera is clearly a Wi-Fi device based on the images in the story and almost certainly comes with a default username and password. Anyone on the Internet could easily build a scanner for devices on the default port for the camera and test the camera client software to see if the device opens with the default credentials. This is almost certainly what happened. The camera… Read full this story
- 'Internet of things' or 'vulnerability of everything'? Japan will hack its own citizens to find out
- Tony Bellew angers with Mike Thalassitis tweet but says he was hacked
- Australia says 'state actor' hacked major political parties
- NHS-backed GP chatbot is branded a 'public health danger'
- Colombian baby girl born with her twin still growing INSIDE her
- Coronation Street 31 March – 5 April spoilers: Tim in danger after suffering heart attack
- Google says Nest security camera terror warning from North Korea was hoax, not a hack
- Terror warning from North Korean via Nest cam was hoax: Compromised password, Google says
- EXCLUSIVE… Cyber-Security Experts Release Damning Report: Why The DNC Was Not Hacked By the Russians
- Go deeper: How the Russian election hacking operation worked
Baby monitor hack shows danger of default passwords have 319 words, post on www.zdnet.com at August 13, 2013. This is cached page on ReZone. If you want remove this page, please contact us.